Monday, May 28, 2012

I Can't Believe It's Almost Over

Tomorrow starts the first day of the last week of this school year.  I say this every year, but this year it seems like more than ever it just FLEW BY!!!  This time last year was very hard for me.  Like so many people have experienced over the last 10 years or so our school district was experiencing some budget cuts and therefore had to lay off a ton of jobs.  Basically any teacher that was in their first year did not get their contract renewed.  Then, there were other teachers who signed a contract, but were not sure where they would end up... like myself.  Our math department (which is what I taught) had to be cut in half.  We were going from math being double blocked to being single blocked, so you only need half the teachers.  I was devastated... The year before I had taught 6th grade math.  Last year I taught 7th grade math.  So, I wasn't going to be able to see my kids in their last year of middle school.  I had made so many teacher friends that I wouldn't see on a daily basis.  And, I worked with my mom... I wouldn't be able to see her every day!  I figured it would all work out for the best, but at the same time... it was just hard.  Well guess what?  It all worked out.  I ended up at a great school.  I have made many new friends.  The kids are awesome (except for a couple toots who haven't matured as much as they should).  And, the best part is that I was able to switch subjects.  I am now teaching the subject I originally wanted to... SCIENCE!  I was always better at math in school, but I wasn't too shabby in science.  And I really just thought that teaching science would be fun.  And it is!  It turns out that the kids enjoy science so much more, and it really helps out with behavior issues.  I mean, I have plenty of discipline issues, but they seem to be not as major or many.  


So, in all honesty, I can't believe this is the last week of school.  Having had such a great year makes me really look forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment