Thursday, August 2, 2012

River Trip 2012

So, this past weekend was our third annual river trip.  Chris and I have gone with a group of friends for the past few years, and we were happy to be able to go again this year.  Each year the group changes a little bit, but there are 6-8 core people (Chris and I included) and then usually an additional 4-6 that add on.  It is always a good time to get away and relax... especially since the past few years the river has been low so it doesn't flow very fast!  We got there on Friday afternoon and decided to do the short float.  They told us it would be 2-2.5 hours long.  It took us 3 and a half hours!  On Saturday, we did the medium float.  This one was a little more accurate on time.  We were on the river about 6 hours.  I made one mistake though.  The lady told us we would see signs at one point that told us to get out and walk around the falls.  Now usually when it is a little drop it isn't called falls, so I was all gung ho about getting out and walking, but when we got there I talked the group into going down them.  I'm NO daredevil, but I saw a 6-year-old going down the "falls" without any problems!  The group decided to trust me, and down the falls we went.  I should have learned last year not to go down any sort of rapid attached to another person (last year the girl attached to me flipped, couldn't get out from under her tube, thought she was going to drown, etc.) but I didn't.  I was attached to the SAME girl (shows how much we learned) and Chris at the same time!  Her and I both flipped.  I got carried down the river a few yards and thought I scraped my back pretty bad but turns out it was just my sunburn.  It was still pretty traumatic at the time.  Next time I see a sign that says "Get out and walk" I think I will listen!  I will say though, that of all 3 years, Chris and I had the best time this year.  We made sure to use plenty of sunscreen (even though there was still some burn) and drink plenty of water (even though there was plenty of non water) and we over all had a great time.  We played games both nights which is a favorite for us!  Here is a pic of some of the girls hanging out back at the cabin.
I'm on the left, then it's Britni (a girl I have known since Middle School), then Cathy (I met her over the weekend... she is a hoot!) and Ashley (a friend of Britni's who has ended up becoming a friend of mine)


We left Sunday morning.  Chris and I decided to go to Buccee's.  He has a friend who always brings him beef jerkey from there but had never been there.  I have recently seen pictures of people at Buccee's but didn't really know what it was.  I just thought it was a gas station.  Chris kept telling me it wasn't a gas station but couldn't really tell me what it was.  We decided to check it out for ourselves.  I have decided it is a combination of a gas station, farmers market, and gift shop.... on steroids!  It was ridiculous!  We probably bought more than we should, but I'm glad we went!
Here is Buccee the Beaver!  I should have stood next to him!


I am finally well rested and ready to enjoy the rest of my summer.  There isn't much left!  I can't believe it is already August!  I have training for school next week... yuck!  And Chris's birthday is next week...yay!  I'll be sure to update you on all of the activities!

1 comment:

  1. We always stop at Buccee's when we go to Houston. Never a miss! I'm glad you had fun and didn't drown =-)

    ReplyDelete